Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Fundraiser


Our crazy siblings are at it again.  Biking, that is.  This summer Rebekah and Rob will be riding with Venture to support the Just:Hope campaign.  They'll be on different tours: Rob will cross the USA from Seattle to NYC, and Rebekah will be on a route from Nova Scotia to NYC.  Just:Hope is a cause promoting justice for the oppressed, especially in southeast Asia.  We're super proud of our younger sis and bro for getting educated and personally involved in an issue greater than themselves by seeking justice (Micah 6:8).

Both Rob and Rebekah have been fundraising in the past months, and I felt like our family needed to get involved.  Sometimes it's too easy to write a check.  Like Rob and Rebekah taking the effort to turn their bike wheels thousands of times a day, I wanted to go out of our way to participate in their journey.

So we had a garage sale last Saturday.

And, if our goal was to go out of our way and put in a lot of effort, I think we got there.  Garage sales are a lot of work.  Collecting, pricing, cleaning, selling, hauling away. . . Whew!  I was pretty tired by Saturday evening.  Rebekah and Rob spent the sale spinning by the "money table" so they could tell people about their summer trips.  Our extended family was super helpful in sorting, hauling, and donating.  It was a busy couple of days for a not-so-busy couple of hours during the sale.

I'm glad we did it.  We accomplished our goal.  But, next time, I'm writing a check.

We rigged up a trainer for Eli with phone books so he could spin with his aunt and uncle.
Rebekah handed out these cool cards.



No comments: