Sunday, August 22, 2010

Signs of Summer

With all the back to school buzz, it seems like fall is just around the corner. However, we have plenty of evidence that summer is still in full swing. The leaves may be falling soon, but for now...
My tire planter is still growing. These petunias have done quite well alongside the pool house.

Dave and I did the Sanford and Sun Triathlon a week ago. Well, I should say that Dave did the triathlon and I survived the triathlon. It wasn't pretty, but--as Dave pointed out--I like being able to say I got it done shortly after having two kids. Here Eli shows off my swim cap and finisher's medal.

Our first vegetable garden has really brought us a lot of fun and some yummy eats too. The boys and I check the progress of the plants each day. Eli loves the tomatos and will pick them off the plants too soon if I don't watch him. Luke has really enjoyed teething on the green beans.

Dave gives 'Ol Red a bath. She's almost at 100,000 miles, but not quite. (I think she wants to hold onto that last bit of youth as long as she can.)

Dave brought a bushel of corn home a couple of days ago. We had a family shucking party in the backyard and now we've got plenty of yummy sweet corn in the freezer for this winter.



Our pumpkin. We have a monster pumpkin vine in the back corner of the yard despite the powdery mildew diagnosed by our green-thumbed neighbor. The massive thing has produced one (one!) fruit. The butternut squash plants mentioned in an earlier post have yielded one measly little squash plant too. I guess we'll need to cultivate that soil a little more if we want to get more next year. In the meantime, we're watching our pumpkin and are hoping that it will keep growing until October, when fall really begins.

1 comment:

rebekah deal said...

ummm, what happened to dave's hair?

oh, and Eli looks silly in that swim cap.